© 2014 Bahaa Yasin All Rights Reserved.
In the summer of my co-op, I got to work for the Vinland Research and Innovation Centre. Here I managed an influx of data on plant DNA from the Applied Genomics group in order to create an interactive web-based system for presenting DNA sequence information and associated meta-data.
The various technology used on this project are:
For the summer of my co-op, I had the opportunity to work for Vinland Research and Innovation Centre. Here I managed an influx of data on plant DNA presented to me by the Applied Genomics group in order to create an interactive web-based system for presenting DNA sequence information and associated meta-data. I worked independently for the majority of the time; however, the team and I often needed to consult with each other on troubleshooting problems or finding the best way to present the data.
The primary skills included knowing such computer languages as PHP, HTML, Ajax, JQuery, MySQL, SQL, and SVG as well as having the ability to organize a large amount of data and input it into the system accurately. For secondary skills, I needed to be able to adapt to changing expectations and pay close attention to detail.
After training, I found the job itself to be quite simple. It was the same work every day. However, initially I found inputting the information to be a bit of a challenge because I had to use new technology and learn how to use it on my own. In addition, this is a biology field, which is new to me. I needed to learn some background information on plant DNA so I could understand how to complete my job properly. I found these challenges stimulating and loved figuring out how to solve them.
I built this website for a large, Kuwait-based catering company that has branches in Saudi Arabia and Qatar and employs over 2 000 people. I moved easily from MySQL, HTML, and PHP to Ajax as required. I used the information the client gave me to write about the company, why customers should use it, and its services. I also included several pictures and graphics, using the client’s as well as my own creativity.
As always, the major skills included technical knowledge. I already had a good understanding of MySQL, HTML, PHP, and Ajax, but after the project, my proficiency greatly increased. A secondary skill that was required was communication skills. I needed to keep in constant communication in order to create the website exactly as the client wanted it. It was a large project and had a lot of detail that I needed to make sure I included correctly.
I did not experience many challenges at all while completing this project since I had already had a lot of experience building websites. This may have been the most detailed website since it was the largest company I had done work for at the time, so organizing all of the information in a clear way was vital.
WARM was a project I had to complete at school with a team of four fellow computer programming students. They were upgrading the way they ran their agency and wanted to move to a paperless environment. Ultimately, they wanted to be able to access all their clients’ data using software. Creating statistics was vital to help them get government grants and donations, and software would help them in this regard.
Primarily, we needed to use our technical knowledge in order to complete this project, specifically Microsoft Access. We also needed to consult with the agency to work together to make their vision come to life. Our secondary skills included working cooperatively on a team to solve problems together. We also needed to make many changes after a month because the agency had new ideas or wanted to change old ones. Adaptability was key.
The biggest challenge was using Microsoft Access. This was a program that none of us had experience with. We needed to learn it quickly and use it efficiently. Changing a lot of our previous work was also a challenge since the hard work we put into the project was then deleted. That was very frustrating, but it is the nature of the job.
I completed a project with four students in my course. We worked together as a team to build a university web-based application for course maintenance, lookup, reports, and for adding courses.
The team’s technical knowledge of programming languages was essential. We used C#, ASP.NET
Crystal Reports, .NET Framework 4.5. Creativity and problem solving were important primary
skills as well. We needed to decide how to design the app to make it clear and easy to use.
Additionally, the team needed to communicate well with each other. Because it was a team- based project, one student working independently and taking the initiative to do his own work simply would not make the group cohesive. We needed to make sure we communicated our ideas and discussed potential issues the group had with each other to avoid conflict. This communication with each other made our group function without issues.
This project was extremely fun and put my skills and creativity to the test. There weren’t many challenges except for time management. There was a lot of work that needed to be done in a short period of time. I often worked well into the night to complete my share of the work load. I am willing to work those extra hours to make sure my projects get completed.